This year, the VSLC will facilitate SUNY Buffalo State’s participation in National Volunteer Week, as an opportunity for students, faculty, and staff to be inspired, recognized, and encouraged to engage in the Buffalo community through volunteerism and service-learning. The VSLC’s National Volunteer Week will provide various programming opportunities for students that will recognize student leaders, encourage students to participate in service, and inspire those who have not yet engaged in the community through service-learning courses or volunteerism.
Description of Events
On-Campus Service Projects
Throughout the week, take the opportunity to participate in an on-campus service project and learn more about the local community! Spend a 15 minutes to a full 2 hours of your day volunteering right here on campus! Bring a friend and enjoy giving back! Participants will receive a certificate and a giveaway and this time can count towards community service hours for your student organization.
• Build a Birdhouse, Monday, April 7, 12:00pm-2:00pm, Campbell Student Union Lobby- Over 70 community gardens have been popping up throughout the city in recent years- help to continue the beautification of the city! Students have the opportunity construct and paint wooden birdhouses that will be utilized in community gardens through long-time community partners, Grassroots Gardens, Massachusetts Avenue Project, and Journey’s End Refugee Services.
• Make a Blanket, Wednesday, April 9, 10:00am-12:00pm, Campbell Student Union Lobby- Everyone knows the comfort and security that a blanket can have on a child. Lend a hand in making no-sew blankets for children and families staying at Buffalo City Mission and Gerard Place.
• Construct Waterproof Mats, Friday, April 11, 11:00am-1:00pm, Campbell Student Union Lobby- On any given night 2,000 men, women, and families are homeless in Buffalo. Construct a waterproof mat, made from plastic grocery bags, for Friends of Night People’s homeless outreach program.
Throughout the week, hear from multiple groups of volunteers and their programs. Get inspired and learn more about the work students are doing to affect change in the community!
• Alternative Break, Tuesday, April 8, 12:15pm-1:30pm, Bulger East- Have you heard about Alternative Break? Are you interested in learning more? This interactive panel presentation, featuring SUNY Buffalo State’s student-led Alternative Break (AB) program will provide an opportunity for past participants to discuss their AB experience and encourage others to participate in volunteerism- on their own, with the AB program, or in a service-learning course.
• Year of the Teacher: AmeriCorps Programs, Tuesday, April 8, 3:00pm-5:00pm, Bulger South- Have you heard of AmeriCorps? Are you curious or interested in hearing from former students who have completed a term of service in the community? Our office gets many questions from students considering AmeriCorps programs, and this panel would help to create a forum where students can hear first-hand accounts of alumni’s national service experience as it relates to education and the classroom.
• Community Service Peer Leader- Thursday April 10; 12:15pm-1:30pm, Bacon 117- The Volunteer and Service-Learning Center has offered the Community Service Peer Leader program to SUNY Buffalo State students since 2011. In this program, students are paired with a community partner and serve as a long-term leader in the community and on campus. The VSLC Community Service Peer Leaders will host a roundtable to discuss their 250 hour service experience throughout the 2013-2014 academic year with interested students.
Sometimes you only need a little bit of information to get you going in the right direction! Stop by the union to get some more information on the following:
• Celebration of Service Award Nominations, Tuesday, April 8, 11:00am-1:00pm, Campbell Student Union Lobby- During this tabling session staff from the VSLC will be on hand encourage and support students and faculty members who are interested in nominating someone for a Celebration of Service Award.
• Friends of Night People, Thursday, April 10, 11:00am-1:00pm, Campbell Student Union Lobby One of our community partners will be on hand to speak with students about their organization and volunteer opportunities.
• Spring Community Service Day, Saturday, April 12, 12:30pm- 4:00pm, Meet in the Athletic Center- The culminating event for National Volunteer Week the VSLC will host a Saturday of service where students can be introduced to the Buffalo community through service projects with non-profit organizations. Students will be provided transportation to and from community partner sites in this VSLC facilitated event.